Monday, October 11, 2010

“Dress design for Shabby Apple Dresses”

“Dress design for  Shabby Apple Dresses
My assignment for the last couple weeks was to design a dress to enter into the "Dare to Design" contest for the Company Shabby Apple. If you haven't heard of them, check out the site... they make super cute dresses for reasonable prices. The design for the contest had to follow a few guidelines: dresses need to be with sleeves, a hemline to the knee, and no cleavage. And of course, it should look like something they would actually sell. My teacher decided to step it up a notch and have us use a particular movie to inspire our designs.

(click on the image if you want to enlarge it)

     
                                    I chose the movie "Young Victoria" because I'm a sucker for lace..

    

The fabric is a poly-silk blend and polyester lace. Above are also some inspirations... Couple pictures of the Queen herself
 

My final designs, simple yet elegant... yet not too fancy.



This is the design I went with. The lace on the neckline with a fitted bodice and flared skirt. I could have gone really overboard with lace but I think this has just the right amount to not look like a halloween costume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment